Chris Hoff took his three young girls to Source Boston with him last week.
First, VERY COOL and it sounds like they had a good time.
Second, it started some thoughts in his head, some conversations with others and the creation of something that will be most excellent.
From the website:
The idea really revolves around providing an interactive, hands-on experience for kids and their parents which includes things like:
- Low-impact martial arts/self-defense training
- Online safety (kids and parents!)
- How to deal with CyberBullies
- Gaming competitions
- Introduction to Programming
- Basic to advanced network/application security
- Hacking hardware and software for fun
- Build a netbook
- Make a podcast/vodcast
- Interactive robot building (Lego Mindstorms?)
- Organic snacks and lunches
- Website design/introduction to blogging
- Meet law enforcement
- Meet *real* security researchers 😉
I think this is an awesome effort.
If you have ideas or are interested in helping out, you can contact the group via @HacKidCon on twitter or via email at hackid@HacKid.org